I’m a Cajun girl, & I LOVE pasta, so when I looked around my kitchen for what to cook for dinner one Sunday, putting this dish together was a no brainer for me. This pasta is the perfect combination of creamy, cheesy, & just the right amount of Cajun flavor.
Looking around the kitchen, I grabbed all the things I could use to make a delicious Cajun pasta- olive oil, unsalted butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, shredded Italian cheese blend, Alfredo sauce mix, chicken broth, parsley, a couple large cloves of garlic, an onion, two large chicken breasts, a smoked jalapeno sausage, half a box of bow tie pasta, Italian seasoning, blackening seasoning, Tony Chachere’s Cajun seasoning, kosher salt, & my peppercorn medley grinder.
Now that we have all the ingredients for a great pasta together, we can get started. Fill a large pot about 2/3 of the way with water, & give it a sprinkling of salt & a drizzle of oil. Bring that to a rolling boil & add your pasta, boil for 7 minutes, then drain & rinse with cold water. While this is going on, also warm about a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Mince your garlic & dice your onion, add to the warm olive oil to sautee about three minutes, until onions are translucent.
Slice sausage into medallions, & set aside. Slice chicken breasts in half width wise, to make four cutlets, then slice length wise into strips & dice them. Add chicken to skillet with onion & garlic & sprinkle with blackening seasoning. Stir & cook until no longer pink, mix in sausage, & cook another two to three minutes.
Add one cup of heavy cream, two cups of chicken broth, & Alfredo mix. Stir well until smooth, then add 1/4 cup unsalted butter & four ounces of cream cheese, stir until butter & cheese are melted & consistency is smooth & creamy.
Stir in Italian & Cajun seasonings, & kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper. Bring to a simmer & simmer about ten minutes.
Combine meat & sauce mixture with pasta in the large pot, with about one cup of shredded Italian cheese. Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley over the top.
Serve topped with a little more shredded cheese & with a vegetable on the side. I happened to be in the mood for asparagus the night I made this:
This was so delicious, my boys went back for seconds & thirds! Also, it had just the right amount of heat- my youngest would’ve complained if it had been too spicy. 😉 As always, recipe below in a more printer-friendly format!
Cheesy Cajun Chicken & Sausage Alfredo
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups chicken broth
1 packet Alfredo sauce mix
1 cup Italian shredded cheese blend, plus more for topping
2 large cloves garlic
1 small yellow onion
2tbsp fresh chopped parsley
14oz jalapeno smoke sausage
2 large chicken breasts
8 oz bow tie pasta
1 tbsp blackening seasoning
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tbsp Tony Chachere’s Cajun seasoning
Kosher salt & fresh ground peppercorn medley, to taste
- Fill a large pot 2/3 full with water, sprinkle with salt & drizzle a little bit of olive oil, bring to a rolling boil. Add pasta, return to a boil, reduce heat & boil for 7 min, stirring occassionally. Drain & rinse with cold water.
- While getting the pasta going & cooked, warm a tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet, mince your garlic & onion, add to the skillet & saute about 3 min, until onions are translucent.
- Slice sausage into medallions & set aside. Slice chicken breasts width wise into 4 cutlets, then dice. Add chicken to skillet & sautee until no longer pink, then add sausage & cook another 2-3 min.
- Stir in heavy cream, chicken broth, & Alfredo mix. Stir until smooth, then add unsalted butter & cream cheese, stir until melted & consistency is smooth & creamy.
- Stir in seasonings, bring to a simmer & simmer about ten minutes.
- Combine meat & sauce mixture with pasta & 1 cup shredded cheese in the large pot, sprinkle fresh parsley over the top.